Many people are questioning if they can move during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are some helpful answers to your questions.
What is COVID-19?
The Center of Disease Control and Prevention states, “COVID-19 is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person”. People may have symptoms that are like the common cold or the flu. These symptoms can be fever, cough, and shortness of breath. COVID-19 can be fatal.
As of this writing there are currently over 18 million cases throughout the United States, with 325,000 deaths. Cities, States, and the federal governments have enacted measure that can affect the ability to move.
Social Distancing and How it can Impact Your Move
Social distancing is the process of keeping a certain distance between persons. The CDC has recommended that people maintain six feet in distance. This guideline is not just for persons showing symptoms but is recommend for all to help minimize the spread.
Can I Move During COVID-19?
You may be allowed to move during the pandemic, but this doesn’t mean that it is always in the best interest of you or others.
Here are seven things that the CDC recommends before traveling:
- Are you, or someone in the household, or the people you will be visiting at an increased risk?
- Are cases increasing or high at the destination?
- Are hospitals becoming overwhelmed due to COVID-19?
- Does your home or destination have requirements or restrictions on travelers?
- Does your plan include transportation by plane, bus, or train?
- During the 14 days before, have your or those visiting been in contact with people they do not live with?
- Are you traveling with people you do not live with?
If you answered yest to any of these questions, the CDC then recommends postponing or making alternative plans.
If I Wear Gloves, Will it Help?
Wear gloves when cleaning your new home and your old home. Gloves are not specifically needed for activities such as lifting, loading, and packing. The best way to stay safe is to take these preventive actions:
- Wash your hands for minimum of 20 seconds. Sing “Happy Birthday” twice while washing hands.
- Avoid Close Contact with others
- Wear a facemask when among others
- Cover sneezes and coughs with your inner elbow not your hands
- Clean and disinfect regularly
- Monitor your health daily
What is the Best Way to Disinfect?
When cleaning surfaces, use cleaners or disinfectants that are made for that surface. Cleaning frequently with these cleaners will protect your home from COVID-19 and other viruses and/or bacteria. Make sure to follow the instructions on the disinfectants for the best results.
You can also check to see what the best disinfectants are to use on the CDC’s website. Clorox Disinfecting Wipes and Lysol Disinfectant Spray are some that they recommend.
Make sure to disinfect your new home before you start to move in. This will ensure that your risk for Coronavirus is limited exposure.
You can also make homemade disinfectant by mixing five tablespoons of bleach per gallon of water.
How Can I Minimized Contact for a Moving Estimate?
You can take a video of your home and send it to the moving company. Many moving companies during this time will either setup a Facetime or Skype video call so that you are able to give them a walkthrough. This will keep everyone safe and lessen the risk of spreading the virus.
How Else can COVID Affect My Move?
The full study of consequences of COVID-19 are not known. There are several situations that the pandemic can potentially affect your move:
- Government orders in cities you are moving to and from
- Government orders could prevent you eating at restaurants
- Grocery store shortages
- Widespread transmission of COVID-19
- Social distancing guidelines
- Increase in demand can lessen available moving dates
Are Moving Companies Considered Essential Businesses?
This varies from state to state. So, it could be considered in the one you are moving from and not in the destination that you are moving to. Check with the moving companies to find those answers. These types of companies also carry the necessary supplies such as moving boxes and other moving supplies that you many need for your move.
Should I Purchase Moving Boxes and Supplies Online?
When it comes to moving boxes, you will want to purchase them new. We do not recommend using used or boxes that you receive from places like the grocery stores or Walmart. They can carry bacteria, viruses, and other unwanted pests. They will also be delivered right to your door, which means you will be able to minimize any close contact with others.
While purchasing your boxes, it would be smart just to get all your moving supplies as well. No need to make separate trips to the store and take the risk of infection. You can purchase packing paper, bubble wrap, and mattress bags all while buying your boxes.